Artichokes, with their unique flavor and intricate structure, are a culinary delight for many. When grilled over an open fire and accompanied by a zesty lemon aioli, they transform into an exquisite dish that is both sophisticated and satisfying. In this blog article, we will explore the recipe for fire-grilled artichokes with lemon aioli, perfect for impressing guests at a dinner party or enjoying a gourmet meal at home.
For the Artichokes:
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
For the Lemon Aioli:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preparing the Artichokes:
- Trim the Artichokes: Start by washing the artichokes in cold water. Using an Alta Utility Knife, cut off the top 1 inch and the stem, leaving about half an inch. Snip off the prickly tips of the artichoke leaves with kitchen scissors.
- Boil the Artichokes: Fill a large pot with water, add the halved lemon, and bring to a boil. Place the artichokes in the boiling water and cook for about 20 minutes or until the outer leaves can easily be pulled off. Drain and let them cool.
- Prepare for Grilling: Once cooled, cut each artichoke in half lengthwise. Remove the fuzzy choke with a spoon. Brush the artichokes with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Grilling the Artichokes:
- Fire up the Grill: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the Artichokes: Place the artichokes on the grill, cut side down, and grill for about 5-7 minutes until they have nice grill marks. Flip and grill for another 5 minutes.
Making the Lemon Aioli:
- Combine Ingredients: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, minced garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill: Cover and refrigerate the aioli for at least 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors meld.
- Serve the grilled artichokes warm or at room temperature with the chilled lemon aioli on the side for dipping.
Tips and Tricks:
- Choosing Artichokes: Look for artichokes with tight, compact leaves and fresh-cut stems.
- Lemon Water Bath: To prevent browning, place the trimmed artichokes in water with lemon juice until ready to boil.
- Grill Marks: Don’t move the artichokes around too much on the grill to get those perfect grill marks.
- Aioli Variations: Add herbs like dill or parsley to the aioli for a different flavor profile.
Fire-grilled artichokes with lemon aioli is a dish that boasts a delightful combination of smoky, tangy, and creamy flavors. Perfect for a summer barbecue or a fancy side dish, it's a recipe that's sure to impress. The key to this dish is in the preparation of the artichokes and the balance of flavors in the aioli. Enjoy this gourmet treat with friends and family and watch as it becomes a new favorite!